Determining Your Dominant or Master Eye
Just as you have a dominant hand, you also have a dominant eye.
- You need to aim with the dominant—or master—eye for the most accurate shooting. Usually your dominant eye is the same as your dominant hand, but not always. You should determine which is your dominant eye before you sight-in your rifle or handgun.
- To determine your dominant eye:
- Form a triangular opening with your thumbs and forefingers.
- Stretch your arms out in front of you.
- Focus on a distant object while looking through the triangular opening and keeping both eyes open.
- Bring your hands slowly to your face, keeping sight of the object through the opening; the opening will come to your dominant eye naturally.
- If you’re not sure, close one eye at a time. The weak eye will see the back of your hand; the strong one will be focused on the object in the triangle.