Field Dressing Small Game
Follow these steps to field dress small game.
- Wear plastic or latex gloves.
- If you want, skin the small game animal, such as a rabbit, before making the cut to remove the entrails (step 3). If you skin a rabbit, also remove the head, feet, and tail. (See figure below.)
- Placing the blade at the anus, cut through the skin and pelvic bone.
- Cut up to the breastbone, placing a finger under the blade to avoid cutting any organs.
- Reach into the body cavity, and pull the esophagus and windpipe loose. (See figure below.)
- Remove the entrails.
- Wipe out the cavity, and allow the carcass to cool.