Benefits of Trapping
Trapping provides many benefits.
- Trapping helps control animal populations by minimizing:
- Spread of diseases
- Damage or destruction of habitat
- Trapping helps reduce damage to personal property by preventing or decreasing:
- Flooding caused by beaver dams
- Destruction of trees
- Killing of livestock or pets
- Trapping protects certain endangered or threatened species from predators.
- Live trapping helps with wildlife restoration (see Unit 9).
- Live trapping catches elusive species for wildlife research.
- Trapping provides funding through sales of licenses.
- Trapping provides recreation, food and other products, and supplemental income.