To survive cold weather when you cannot build a fire:
- Wear the proper type of clothing (no cotton).
- Stay dry. Use water-repellent outer garments.
- Build a shelter. The best is a nylon tarp shelter as it will protect you from wind, rain, and snow. Insulate the floor of the shelter with pine boughs, if available.
- Avoid contact with cold surfaces (the ground, rocks, or snow).
- Wrap your body in a thermal foil blanket. This will maintain a temperature of 60°F inside the wrap even when the outside temperature is –10°F.
- Limit your physical activity to conserve energy.