Ways to Improve Shooting with Steel Shot
Use tested steel shotshell loads.
- Make sure you buy the appropriate size steel shotshells.
- Review the chart “Proven Steel Shot Loads for Waterfowl” published by the Cooperative North American Shotgunning Education Program.
Pattern your shotgun.
- Shotguns pattern differently depending on the type of shot as well as other factors.
- Pattern testing helps you find the maximum effective range for your shotgun.
Adjust your gun and practice shooting.
- Gun fit, mounting, swing speed, and forward allowance are critical to shooting success.
- Be sure your gun is properly adjusted.
- Practice shooting at moving targets throughout the year.
Learn your necessary forward allowance—the air space needed to make consistent, clean hits.
- Forward allowance looks different for each person based on a number of factors.
- This is necessary to shoot at any practical distance.
Practice with the same loads you use when hunting. Using different loads when practicing or hunting makes learning difficult.