Attention! The information on this page may save your life or the lives of your friends and family.
When using a firearm, be sure to follow the five primary safety rules. You can remember these rules by thinking S.M.A.R.T.:
- Safe Direction: Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction at all times.
- Make Sure: Positively identify your target.
- Always Check: Know what’s beyond your target before shooting.
- Respect Firearms: Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
- Trigger Caution: Don’t touch the trigger until you’re ready to shoot.
Here are additional firearm safety rules that you should know:
- Check your barrel and ammunition.
- Unload firearm when not in use.
- Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
- Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
- Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
- Don't drink alcoholic beverages before or during shooting.