Box Trap—May be used only on land
- Used when the possibility of catching pets is high
- Mesh box has a swinging door to let animal in, but not out
Foothold Traps—Used on land or in the water
- Trap holds an animal’s foot and typically will cause little damage to the animal
- Less expensive, lighter in weight, and less likely to freeze in cold weather than other types of traps.
- In Pennsylvania, cable restraints are used only to trap fox and coyote in mid to late winter. Check each year’s Digest for specific opening dates for that season.
- Restraints must have maximum and minimum loop stops and must have breakaway devices to help prevent capture of non-target species.
- Trappers must successfully complete a Cable Restraint Certification or Successful Furtaking course before using cable restraints to trap.