If you catch a non-target animal in a trap, you should release it quickly and without causing the animal harm. The steps listed below provide a procedure to release non-target species. Talk with experienced trappers to learn the best procedures for different species.
- Use a catchpole to restrain the animal.
- Pin the animal’s head to the ground to restrain it.
- Cover the head to calm the animal.
- Use a shield (plywood barrier or similar material).
- Open the trap, and release the animal.
- Keep the barrier between the animal and you.