Trappers, just like hunters, need to conduct themselves in a safe and responsible manner. Responsible trappers:
- Get permission to trap on private property.
- Place traps only where targeted species will be caught.
- Use correctly sized, well-maintained equipment for the species being trapped.
- Check traps frequently—traps must be checked every 36 hours.
- Dispatch or kill animals quickly and humanely.
- Use as much of the animal as possible.
- Take precautions not to trap non-target species in areas of multiple uses.
- Release non-target species quickly.