Loading your firearm is not something you want to do wrong. Do you know all the steps? Watch the video for a quick refresher!
Here’s the rundown:
- Always treat your firearm as if it’s loaded, and point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- If your firearm has a safety, turn it to the safe position.
- Inspect the barrel for any obstructions.
- Load the right gauge or caliber ammunition for your gun.
- Close the action and activate the safety if you were not able to previously.
- Then, enjoy your hunt!
It’s important that you never even carry the wrong ammunition, as you could accidentally put the wrong ammunition in your firearm, causing a dangerous (and possibly deadly!) obstruction. For example, a 20-gauge shotshell will fit into a 12-gauge shotgun, and then become stuck in the barrel. If you then tried to put a 12-gauge shotshell in your shotgun and fired it, your shotgun could explode, causing serious injury to you and any hunting partners.