For burns, the immediate goals are to relieve pain, prevent infection, and treat for shock.
- First- and second-degree burns with closed blisters are best treated with cold water.
- Immerse the burned area, or cover it with cloths that have been soaked in cold water—don’t use ice water.
- Avoid using butter or any type of greasy ointment because they can interfere with healing and cause an allergic reaction.
- Second- and third-degree burns with open blisters should be wrapped with a loose, dry dressing.
Treating Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Improperly working camp stoves and lanterns, as well as wood and charcoal fires, can produce lethal carbon monoxide.
- Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, and difficulty in breathing. The victim’s skin can turn red, and he or she can lose consciousness.
- Get victims into fresh air immediately, and keep them lying quietly. Prompt medical care is essential.