By remembering the S.T.E.P.S. of tree stand safety, you can reduce your risk of falling and be prepared to signal for help if you do fall.
- Safety harness: Always wear your fall-arrest system with a full-body harness whenever your feet leave the ground.
- Tree stand maintenance: Check your stand for missing or broken parts before each use.
- Evaluate your stand site: Select trees that are alive and will support your stand.
- Partners and plans: Hunt with a partner, and have a plan in case of an emergency.
- Signals: Carry a whistle or other signaling device should you need assistance.