Because wildlife is a renewable resource with a surplus, hunters help control wildlife populations at a healthy balance for the habitat.
- Regulated hunting has never caused a wildlife population to become threatened or endangered.
- Hunting is an effective wildlife management tool. Hunters play an important role by providing information from the field that wildlife managers need.
- Revenue from hunting licenses is a primary source of funding for wildlife management and has helped many game and non-game species recover from dwindling populations.
Approached by a Wildlife Officer
When you are approached by a wildlife or conservation officer, be sure to do the following.
- Acknowledge the officer.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Make sure the safety is on. Keep your finger outside of the trigger guard.
- Unload your firearm. Check the action to make sure that it is unloaded.
- Follow the officer’s instructions, and respect his or her requests.