Crossing Obstacles: Alone
Always unload guns before crossing fences or other obstacles or before negotiating rough terrain. When crossing fences, logs, or other obstacles alone:
- Unload the firearm.
- Cover the muzzle or place something under it to help keep out debris.
- Place the firearm on the other side of the fence or obstacle to be crossed, with the muzzle pointed away from you and your crossing point.
- Cross the obstacle. If you are crossing a wire fence, cross close to a fence post to prevent damage to the fence.
- Retrieve the firearm, keeping the muzzle pointed away from you.
- Check the barrel for obstructions.
- Reload and continue the hunt.