Importance of Safe Backstops
Hunters should always check for a safe backstop before shooting.
- Make sure the backstop is:
- Solid enough to capture fired bullets and…
- Constructed of a material that will not let the projectile ricochet.
- Remember that projectiles can travel for long distances. Here are some examples.
- A .22-caliber bullet can travel over 1½ miles.
- A centerfire bullet can travel several miles.
- Small shot can travel 200–350 yards.
- Larger shot can travel over 600 yards.
- Slugs can travel over 800 yards.