5. Check your barrel and ammunition.
Make sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions, and carry only the proper ammunition for your gun.
6. Unload firearms when not in use.
Leave actions open, and carry firearms in cases and unloaded to and from the shooting area.
7. Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
Avoid all horseplay with a gun.
8. Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
Unload a firearm before you climb a fence or tree, or jump a ditch. Pull a firearm toward you by the butt, not the muzzle.
9. Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
Store each in secured locations beyond the reach of children and careless adults.
10. Avoid alcoholic beverages before and during shooting.
Also avoid mind- or behavior-altering medicines or drugs.