When passing a firearm to another person, follow these steps.
- Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
- Turn your back toward the other person, and unload the firearm.
- Put the safety on.
- With the action open, check the chamber and magazine to make sure there is no ammunition.
- Face the other person, and let him or her grasp the firearm securely.
- Continue to hold onto the firearm until the other person confirms that he or she is holding it securely by saying “Thank you,” “I’ve got it,” or something similar.