A successful hunt begins with careful planning and preparation. The process usually requires more time than the hunt itself. Here are some steps you should take to prepare for a hunt.
- Educate yourself about the game you’ll be hunting and its environment.
- Obtain the most current state regulations.
- Buy appropriate clothing and gear for the environment.
- Secure lease arrangements and permits (dogs and horses may require a veterinarian’s certificate or a current vaccination record).
- Visit the site in the off-season to prepare blinds and cabin facilities.
- Sight-in rifles, handguns, and bows; pattern shotguns.
- Sharpen your skills at the shooting range.
- Pack extra firearms, scopes, bowstrings, etc.