Interesting Black Powder Facts
- The term “black powder” was coined in the late 1800s to distinguish it from smokeless powder.
- Black powder is classified by the Department of Transportation as an explosive and is heavily regulated. As a result, many vendors no longer carry it.
- Black powder substitutes are classified as propellants.
- When loaded into a firearm, both black powder and its substitutes are propellants for the projectile.
- Black powder and black powder substitutes produce lower pressures than smokeless powder.