Know the salvage requirements for your area, since this affects bagging procedures.
- Some hunters bone the meat; that is, they remove all edible meat from the bones.
- Boning reduces the weight to be packed.
- Pieces of boned meat placed together in a game bag are harder to keep cool and dry. In some areas, it is illegal to bone the meat because of a history of wasted meat.
- After the meat is removed from the animal, place it in good-quality, breathable game bags.
- Good game bags allow air to circulate to the meat but are tough enough to hold heavy loads.
- The game bags also help keep the meat clean.
- Back at camp, hang the bagged meat off the ground to help keep the meat clean and cool.