Almost all shooters have a master eye, also called the dominant eye. You need to aim with the master eye for the most accurate shooting. Use the simple exercise below to find your master eye.
It is also important to know your master eye before you buy a firearm. If you are right-handed with a right master eye or left-handed with a left master eye, you will have no problem. If your dominant eye opposes your dominant hand, get assistance in choosing a firearm and practicing shots. A shooting instructor can help you.
To find your master eye:
- Face an object that is about 10 feet (3.04 m) away.
- Extend your arms straight out in front of you.
- Form a small triangle by overlapping your hands.
- Look through the triangle with both eyes.
- Focus on the object.
- Close one eye at a time without moving your hands. The eye that keeps the object in the center of the triangle is your master eye.