The Maryland Field Day
Important Field Day Information
Locating and Signing Up for the Field Day
After passing the online portion of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunting education course, you will need to locate and sign up for the required Field Day.
Locate and sign up for the Field Day in your area.
Important! Bring your Field Day Qualifier Voucher to the Field Day as proof of having completed the online course.
Warning! Passing the online course does not guarantee you a spot at the Field Day.
Internet Field Day Workshop Exemption
Students are exempt from Internet Field Day if they have completed Maryland Hunter Ed Course and if they qualify under one of the following professions or trainings:
- Active-duty or honorably discharged members of the U.S. military who are stationed in the state of Maryland or who are Maryland resident
- Any current or retired law enforcement officer from the state of Maryland (must hold, or previously held, a Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission Police Officer Certification, and employed/retired
from a Maryland law enforcement agency)
Note: Special police officer certifications are not accepted.
- Any person who holds a current state of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun, issued by the Maryland State Police
To qualify for the exemption, the students will be required to present the following documents:
- Copy of Driver’s License or State Identification Card (front only) and…
- Copy of state of Maryland Hunter Education Online Course Completion Document and…
- Copy of the following documents indicating profession or training
- If active law enforcement, a copy of current Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission Police Officer Compliance Card (front and back) and a copy of your ID card (front and back)
- If retired law enforcement, a letter from Chief/Sheriff/Superintendent that you were previously employed as a police officer (must be on agency letterhead and signed by agency head)
- If active duty military, copy of current LES (Leave Earning Statement; please be sure to black out your SSN when submitting) and a copy of your Common Access Card (CAC; front and back)
- If honorably discharged from the military, a copy of your Member 4 DD-214 or…
- If a person holds a current state of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun, a copy of your state of Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun, issued by the Maryland State Police (front and back of card required; must be current)
To apply for the exemption, you must complete the Exemption Request Form. (Allow up to 4 weeks for processing.) Once all requirements are met, students will be emailed a copy of their Hunter Education Certificate.
Note: Students who complete the Maryland Hunter Ed Course and who do not qualify for the exemption would still be required to complete an Internet Field Day Workshop before they are issued Hunter Education Certificate.
Please note that the submission of fraudulent or fictitious government documents is a crime. If such is found to be submitted, it will be investigated thoroughly, and offenders will be prosecuted to the law’s fullest extent.
For questions and concerns, please email [email protected]. Be sure to verify your email address on the form, as this will be the main correspondence between you and our agency. For more information, refer to the Maryland DNR website.
What to Expect at the Field Day
This is 4–6 hours, depending on the number of students attending and will include:
- a classroom session
- outdoor shooting
- blood trailing
- demonstrations of tree stand safety
- survival skills
Most of the classroom topics will pertain to Maryland-specific regulations and issues that are not covered in this online course. Be sure to have proper clothing for the outdoor sessions.
After attending and passing the Field Day portion of the Hunting education requirement, you will receive your Hunter Education Certificate.
Get Certified Online!
Take this Maryland–approved course to complete your online hunter safety education. Hunter-ed.com is a delegated provider for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.Lifetime Card
unlimited exam attempts