The Washington Field Skills Evaluation Course
Important Field Skills Evaluation Course Information
Locating and Signing Up for the Field Skills Evaluation Course
After passing the online portion of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Hunting education course, you will need to locate and sign up for the required Field Skills Evaluation Course.
Important! Bring the following documents to the Field Skills Evaluation Course:
- Washington Hunting Seasons and Rule Pamphlet Worksheet; read Washington Hunting Regulations to complete your worksheet.
- A copy of your Exam Certificate; the certificate is valid for only one year from the date of issue.
- Field Skills Training and Evaluation Form
Warning! Passing the online course does not guarantee you a spot at the Field Skills Evaluation Course.
Military Exemption for the Field Skills Evaluation Course
Active-duty or honorably discharged members of the U.S. military who are stationed in Washington State or who are Washington residents, who pass the Washington On-line Hunter Education examination, are exempt from the follow-up on-line field skills evaluation session of the Online Hunter Education Course. You must send your Exam Certificate and Military Exemption Form to WDFW – Hunter Education Program at 600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091.
Peace Officer Exemption for the Field Skills Evaluation Course
Any current or retired law enforcement officer from the Washington state is exempt from the firearm field skills portion after successfully completing any online hunter education course. The following officers qualify for this exemption:
- General-authority officers
- Limited-authority and specially commissioned officers, who are authorized to carry a concealed pistol by his or her employer or commissioning agency
- Washington peace officers and tribal peace officers, who have achieved peace officer certification that is in good standing or tribal police officer certification
To apply for the exemption, you must send a copy of your Exam Certificate, a copy of your current or retired commission card, and the completed Peace Officer Exemption Form via email or mail.
WDFW – Hunter Education Program
PO Box 43200
Olympia, WA 98501-1091
What to Expect at the Field Skills Evaluation Course
This is 4–6 hours, depending on the number of students attending and will include:
- a classroom session
- outdoor shooting
- blood trailing
- demonstrations of tree stand safety
- survival skills
Most of the classroom topics will pertain to Washington-specific regulations and issues that are not covered in this online course. Be sure to have proper clothing for the outdoor sessions.
After attending and passing the Field Skills Evaluation Course portion of the Hunting education requirement, you will receive your Certification Card.
Need help? Here are the answers to the questions Washington Hunting students most frequently ask.Washington Frequently Asked Questions