Unloading a Muzzleloader
There are three ways to unload a muzzleloader.
- Unload a muzzleloader by discharging it into a suitable backstop. Do not fire into the air or into the ground at your feet in case the projectile ricochets.
- Use a CO2 discharger to clear the barrel.
- Percussion Lock Muzzleloader: Slip the discharger over the nipple.
- Flintlock Muzzleloader: Place the discharger against the touchhole.
- On a modern inline muzzleloader, remove the breech plug and simply push the projectile and powder out the back of the barrel.
When a muzzleloader is unloaded, place your ramrod or loading rod in the barrel before leaning the firearm against a good rest—this will prevent debris from falling down the barrel and blocking the touchhole.