Loading Muzzleloading Firearms
Always check to see if a muzzleloading firearm is loaded. Use a marked ramrod to check. Insert the ramrod into the barrel and compare it to your mark.
Follow these steps to learn how to load a muzzleloading firearm. If you have questions, please ask your instructor at the Field Day!
- Measure powder charge.
- Pour measured powder down barrel.
- Place patch and ball on muzzle.
- Tap ball into barrel with starter.
- Take out ramrod.
- Ram ball down barrel.
- Be sure ball is completely seated.
- Clear vent hole with pick if necessary.
- On flintlock muzzleloader, pour powder into pan and close frizzen.
- On percussion lock muzzleloader, place cap on nipple.