About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Washington Hunter Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Certification Card.

Learn More Register for the Course

Firing a muzzleloader

Any firearm that is loaded from the muzzle is called a muzzleloading firearm. Muzzleloading firearms are the earliest types of firearms. They have been used for hundreds of years, and remain popular in Washington for both hunting and shooting. Approximately 12,000-14,000 hunters use muzzleloading firearms to hunt deer, bear, elk, and other game animals.

The difference among them is in the way in which they are fired.

The two most popular types of muzzleloading firearms used in Washington are the in-line and the caplock (or percussion lock) muzzleloaders. Hunters today do not often use the flintlock rifle.