About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Virginia Hunter-Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Hunter Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

The licenses and permits you need depend on the game you are hunting.

  • For general hunting, including hunting small game, upland game birds, and furbearers, you need a basic hunting license.
  • To hunt migratory game birds, you need:
    • Basic hunting license
    • Harvest Information Program (HIP) number
  • To hunt waterfowl, you need:
    • Basic hunting license
    • Federal Duck Stamp
    • Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp
    • HIP number
  • To hunt bears you need:
    • Basic hunting license
    • Bear license
  • To hunt deer, elk, and/or turkeys, you need:
    • Basic hunting license
    • Deer/turkey license
  • To trap furbearers, you need a trapping license.

Unless you are exempt, you must purchase the required licenses before hunting or trapping. To find out if you are exempt, see the Hunting Licenses & Fees information on the VDGIF website. Information on residency qualifications and fees for licenses, permits, and stamps is included also. 

If you are required to have a hunting license, you must:

  • Carry it with you while you are hunting and…
  • Show it upon request to an enforcement officer or to the owner or lessee, or the owner’s or lessee’s employee or representative, of the land where you are hunting.