You also must meet any additional license and permit requirements based on the game you are hunting, the hunting location, and the hunting season.
- A Bonus Deer Permit is required to take antlerless deer in excess of the annual bag limit on:
- Days when antlerless deer hunting is legal
- Private lands
- Certain public lands
- You must have a National Forest Permit or Virginia State Forest Use Permit to hunt or trap on those properties unless you are:
- A resident under 16 years of age who is only trapping
- A resident 65 years of age or older who has a valid hunting or trapping license
- To hunt bears, deer, elk, and/or turkeys during muzzleloading season, you need a muzzleloading license in addition to your basic hunting license and bear-deer-turkey license.
- To hunt bears, deer, elk, and/or turkeys during archery season, you not only need a basic hunting license and a bear-deer-turkey license but also need:
- An archery license if hunting with a compound bow, recurve bow, or longbow or …
- A crossbow license if hunting with a crossbow.