Introduction to All-Terrain Vehicles
All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) are special-purpose vehicles that require careful, responsible handling and good judgment.
- They’re useful for traveling into back country, but they can damage the environment if used recklessly. They also require training and practice to handle them safely on rough terrain.
- Prepare yourself and your family by becoming certified with a state-approved safety education course.
- Studies show that the majority of ATV accidents occur when the rider unexpectedly encounters an obstacle, such as a rock or a ditch. Maintaining a safe speed is critical.
- If you use ATVs to hunt, prepare yourself and your family by attending an approved ATV course.
- Before hunting with ATVs on private land, be sure to get the landowner's permission.