Today’s Trapper Online Course

Utah’s official online course is for those who were born after December 31, 1984, and plan to hunt or trap in Utah or another state that requires fur harvester education to hunt or trap in their state.

Approved and authorized by Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

About the Trapper Education Course

Who Needs the Course?

If you were born after December 31, 1984, you must provide proof that you’ve passed a furharvester education course and an instructor-led field day that is approved by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources before you can obtain a furbearer license, a bobcat permit, or a marten permit.

How Much Does it Cost?

You may register for the course and study the online material for free. After you pass the Final Exam, you’ll pay a one-time fee of $34.50 for your Trapper Education Course Completion Certificate. (Payment is required only after you pass. You may repeat the final exam at no cost.)

What Does the Course Cover?

The Today’s Trapper Online Course is a comprehensive guide to trapping responsibly and safely.

Completing the Course

Unit Quizzes

As you progress through the course, you’ll be given the opportunity to demonstrate how well you’re understanding the hunter safety topics by taking a quiz at the end of each unit (chapter). You’ll need to score 80% or greater on the unit quiz before moving on to the next unit. If you don’t pass a unit quiz, that’s no problem. You’ll just go back and study the unit again until you’re ready to pass.

Final Exam

After completing all units, you’ll take the final exam. You must score 80% or greater on the final exam to pass. If you fail the final exam, there is no penalty. You can retake the exam as many times as you like until you pass.

After Passing the Course

After successfully completing this course, you also must complete an instructor-led field day. For more information about the field day, go to

After successfully completing an instructor-led field day, you will receive a Utah Fur Harvester Education Certificate and patch from the UDWR by mail. The Utah Fur Harvester Education Certificate allows you to legally purchase a furbearer permit and apply for bobcat and martin permits.