Submersion Trapping Systems Overview
Submersion systems should be used whenever possible when trapping aquatic furbearers.
These systems have the following advantages.
- The furbearer is killed quickly.
- There are fewer escapes and less damage to the pelt.
- Trap or fur theft is less likely.
- The trapped animal makes less commotion at the set.
These systems also have some disadvantages.
- Cost can be higher due to the additional equipment needed.
- It takes more time to set the traps.
There are several ways to use a foothold trap in a submersion system. In some cases, you can simply stake a heavy foothold trap in deep water. The weight of the trap will pull the furbearer underwater.