TWRA Apprentice Permit
TWRA Apprentice Permits are available for persons who want to go hunting and see if they like it before they take a hunter education course.
Persons born on or after January 1, 1969, who have not completed a hunter education course must carry a TWRA Apprentice Permit while hunting.
- The permit is for persons at least 10 years of age and is available only once during a person’s lifetime.
- The permit is valid:
- For one year from the date of purchase and...
- For hunting in Tennessee only.
- The person also must possess the required licenses and permits for the type of game they are hunting.
- Any person carrying an Apprentice Permit must be accompanied by a person who:
- Is at least 21 years of age and...
- Has a hunter safety education certificate or is not required to have a certificate (born before 1969) and...
- Stays in position that lets him or her take immediate control of the firearm or bow.