Using Your FAS With a Lifeline System
A lifeline system must be:
- Used with your FAS full-body harness at all times.
- Installed before you hang a tree stand.
After a lifeline has been installed, your FAS full-body harness and lifeline system:
- Keep you connected to the tree at all times—on the climb up, during the hunt, and on the climb down.
- May be used instead of a lineman’s-style belt when climbing into or out of a properly installed hang-on stand.
- Are used when climbing up or down on a properly installed ladder stand.
- May be used instead of a tree strap while you are hunting from a tree stand.
To install a lifeline system:
- Put on your FAS full-body harness and lineman’s-style belt before leaving the ground.
- Using your properly installed climbing aids and three points of contact with your hands and feet, climb up the tree until you are above the height at which you plan to attach your tree stand platform.
- Wrap the looped end of the lifeline system’s safety rope around the tree above the height at which you plan to attach your tree stand platform.
- Pull the whole length of rope, the prusik knot, and the carabiner through the loop. Make sure the rope is secured tightly around the tree.
- Keeping the prusik knot and carabiner near the looped end of the rope that is secured around the tree, drop the rope to the ground.
- Attach the tether from your FAS full-body harness to the carabiner on the prusik knot. You are attached to the tree in two ways at this point.
- Turn the locking nut on the carabiner until it is tight.
- Climb down the tree, pulling the prusik knot with you as you go.
- When you reach the ground, detach your FAS tether from the prusik knot and the lineman’s-style belt.
- Secure the end of the safety rope.
- If you are using a hang-on stand and climbing aids that strap onto the tree, tie the end of the safety rope tightly around the base of the tree. The rope needs to be secured around the base of the tree for the lifeline system to work properly.
- If you are using a ladder stand, tie the end of the safety rope tightly to the bottom of the stand or around the base of the tree.
- After securing the bottom of the safety rope, make sure it is taut so that the prusik knot will slide easily during your climb.
To use a lifeline system:
- Attach the tether from your FAS full-body harness to the prusik knot’s carabiner on the lifeline system’s safety rope before you start climbing.
- Slide the knot as you go up (or down) the tree. The prusik knot is designed so that it slides easily with one hand.
- Remember to use three points of contact. You should stop, slide the prusik knot, and resume climbing using three points of contact.
- Do not hold onto the prusik knot while climbing or if you fall.
- Once you are in the tree stand, slide the prusik knot above your head, making sure there is no slack in the tether when you are seated.