To prevent wildfires, follow these recommendations provided by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Contact the landowner or agency managing the land to make sure fires are allowed. Get a campfire permit from the agency if it is required.
- Go to the Smokey Bear website to review how to build, maintain, and put out a campfire. Even the most experienced campers can use a campfire safety refresher.
- Before you light a fire, be ready to put it out.
- Drown it! Stir it! Feel it!
- Drown it and stir it again! If it is too hot to touch, it is too hot to leave.
- Maintain your equipment, and avoid creating sparks.
- Use spark arrestors.
- Don’t drag chains.
- Don’t park over dry grass.
- Do not leave a fire unattended.
- Before you build a campfire, know your legal and financial responsibilities if you cause a wildfire.
- Never forget that fire is a helpful tool, but it is also a dangerous tool. Learn more about wildland fire at the National Park Service website.