Rules for Safe and Ethical Operation When Hunting with ATVs
Always follow the rules for safe and ethical operation.
- Wear a helmet approved by the Department of Transportation.
- Wear protective clothing, including goggles, gloves, and boots.
- Only ride an ATV that fits you as specified in New Mexico state laws.
- Carry firearms unloaded, cased, and on a proper gun rack.
- When using the plastic scabbard mounted on an ATV, clear the inside of the scabbard of debris and check your firearm's muzzle for obstructions.
- Stay on roads and trails open to ATV use.
- Don't drive over crops or planted fields.
- Never shoot from an ATV.
- Use ATVs only to get to the hunting area or to haul an animal from the woods.
- Retrieve your game outside of prime hunting hours.