Protection from Falling
To protect yourself in case you fall, always wear your FAS full-body harness, attaching it to the tree while at ground level and keeping it attached throughout your hunt.
If you should fall while you are in your tree stand:
- Do not panic.
- Your FAS full-body harness with the tether that is attached to a tree strap or lifeline system will hold you.
- If you are using a lifeline system, do not touch the prusik knot on the safety rope because this could keep it from arresting your fall.
- Signal for help.
- Climb back onto the platform as quickly as possible.
- Take actions to avoid suspension trauma if you must wait for rescue.
- Use your suspension relief strap.
- If you do not have a suspension relief strap, moving your legs continuously by pushing off from the tree may keep your blood flowing.
After a fall:
- Always replace the FAS tether.
- If you are using a lifeline system, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to inspect the safety rope for damage.