Crossbow Hunting from an Elevated Stand
In addition to following the other safety guidelines for hunting from an elevated stand, crossbow hunters have guidelines specific to their equipment.
- Secure all arrows in a quiver attached to your crossbow. The quiver should have a hood that covers the broadheads of the arrows.
- Cock the unloaded crossbow at the base of the tree or stand and then tie it to your haul line so that the haul line is away from the trigger.
- Once you are securely in the stand, pull up the crossbow and load it.
- After you make a shot:
- You may cock the crossbow in the stand only if you have a cocking device that does not require you to lean over to cock the bow.
- If you do not have a cocking device, you must lower the crossbow with your haul line, cock it on the ground, and haul it back to the stand.
- Never lean over to cock a crossbow in an elevated stand.