Safety While Loading
Always follow proper safety procedures on the range and while hunting.
- Never smoke.
- Never load near an open flame.
- Keep a distance of at least 10 feet between the loading station and the firing line.
- Store all powder that is not currently in use at the loading station. Choose a storage location that is secure and away from all activities.
- Leave all percussion caps at the firing line.
- Wear eye and ear protection while loading or firing a muzzleloader.
- Focus closely on the task at hand. Loading a muzzleloader takes many steps. Distractions can cause you to skip, or repeat, steps. This can be very dangerous.
- Point the muzzle away from your face and body. Minimize the amount of time that any part of your hand covers the muzzle when loading. Except when using the ball-starter, never place your palm or thumb over the end of a loading rod.