- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Attempt to engage the safety.
- Keep your finger outside the trigger guard.
- Open the action.
- Remove the ammunition; eject cartridges or shells if it’s the only way to remove them–use extra care with lever-action firearms.
- Count shells or cartridges to make sure the gun is empty.
- Ensure the safety is on.
- Visually check the chamber and receiver/magazine to make sure it’s clear.
Loading and Unloading Firearms
Press the play button (▶) above to start the video. Trouble with this video?