Muzzleloader Safety Rules
Several rules must be followed to ensure safe operation of a muzzleloader.
- Always obey the rules for safe firearm handling.
- Use only black powder or an approved black powder substitute in your muzzleloader.
- Mark the ramrod to show “empty” and “loaded,” ensuring the barrel contains only one charge.
- Never pour powder directly from a horn, flask, or other larger container.
- Swab the barrel between shots to protect against burning embers igniting the powder charge while reloading.
- Keep your muzzleloader clean. Black powder residue can quickly ruin the barrel.
- Do not smoke while handling black powder.
- Always wear eye and ear protection.