About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the Missouri Hunter Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Conservation Heritage Card.

Learn More Register for the Course


Treat red skin and/or closed blisters by immersing the area in cool water—no ice—and covering it with a damp cloth. For open blisters and/or charred skin, wrap with a loose, dry dressing.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Look for symptoms that include headache, dizziness, weakness, and difficulty in breathing. The victim’s skin can turn red, and he or she can lose consciousness. Get victims into fresh air immediately, and keep them lying quietly. Prompt medical care is essential.


Shock can result from any serious injury. Symptoms include pale, cold, clammy skin; rapid pulse; shallow breathing; and fear in the victim.

To treat shock:

  • Keep the victim lying on his or her back.
  • In some cases, shock victims improve by raising their feet 8-12 inches.
  • If the victim is having trouble breathing, raise the head and shoulders about 10 inches rather than raising the feet.
  • Do not raise the feet or the head and shoulders if the victim might have head, neck, or back injuries. Also do not raise the feet if the victim might have a broken hip or leg.
  • Control any external bleeding.
  • Maintain normal body temperature, and loosen any restrictive clothing.
  • Do not give the victim any food or drink.
  • Try to keep the victim calm and comfortable, and get medical help as quickly as possible.