- Always unload guns before crossing fences or other obstacles or before negotiating rough terrain. When using a muzzleloader, remove the percussion cap or priming powder.
- Cross wire fences close to a fence post to prevent damage to the fence.
- After unloading it, place the gun on the other side of the fence or obstacle to be crossed, with the muzzle pointed away from you and your crossing point. Then cross the fence and retrieve your gun.
- Pull a gun toward you by the butt—never by the muzzle.
- If two people are crossing, one person gives the other person both guns, crosses first, and then receives the unloaded guns from the other hunter.
Safe Fence Crossing
Press the play button (▶) above to start the video. Trouble with this video?