About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Iowa Hunter Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Hunter Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

The Iowa DNR issues the following types of licenses:

  • Hunting
  • Deer
  • Furharvester
  • Turkey

The type of license(s) you need depends on the game you plan to hunt or trap.

  • A Hunting License is required to hunt upland and small game, deer, migratory game birds (waterfowl), and turkeys. To hunt deer or turkeys, you also must have a Deer License or Turkey License.
  • A Furharvester License is required to hunt or trap all furbearers. The only exception is coyotes and groundhogs, which may be hunted or trapped with a Hunting License.
White-tailed deer
White-tailed deer

Iowa residents who are 65 years of age and older, and disabled veterans, may purchase a Lifetime Hunting License.

Iowa residents and non-residents 16 years of age or older must carry a valid Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Federal Duck Stamp) while hunting wild geese and wild ducks. The stamp:

  • Must be signed by the hunter across the front of the stamp and …
  • Is required even if a Hunting License is not required.