Tagging Requirements for Deer and Wild Turkeys
Iowa has two-part deer and turkey tags.
- The Harvest Report Tag is the top part. Attach it after reporting your deer or turkey harvest.
- The Transportation Tag is the bottom part. Attach it within 15 minutes of harvest and before you move the deer or turkey.
Attach the Transportation Tag as follows.
- Notch the month/day of harvest at the bottom of the tag.
- Remove the adhesive backing.
- Attach the tag to the animal.
- For deer with no antlers, cut a slit through the hide on one hind leg between the hock tendon and the leg bone. Then securely fasten the tag around the hock tendon directly above the ankle joint.
- For deer with antlers, attach the tag to the antlers on the main beam between two points.
- For turkeys, attach the tag securely around one leg.
- Press the halves of the tag together, and make sure the hunter’s name, registration number, and date of harvest are readable.