Selection and Maintenance
Every trapper needs proper equipment. Having the proper equipment will add to your trapping pleasure and profit. As a beginning trapper, consider purchasing used equipment to save money. If you buy used traps, make sure they are legal and in good condition. Your equipment should:
- Be of high enough quality to do a good job.
- Help you work on your trapline safely and efficiently.
To extend the life of your equipment and help to ensure a successful trapping season:
- Take good care of your equipment. Only traps with good springs and in good working order should be used. Opportunities to catch a furbearer crossing a trap are limited, and each one should count.
- Keep your equipment in neat order.
- Keep your equipment clean.
October is a good time to prepare traps for the approaching season. A waterproof name and address tag should be attached to each trap. All traps should be tuned and conditioned.