Hauling Hunting Equipment into a Stand
- Never carry your hunting equipment up or down the tree with you as you climb. Always use a haul line.
- Before attaching the haul line to your hunting equipment:
- If using a firearm, unload it and open the action.
- If using a bow, put the arrows in a covered quiver secured to the bow.
- Use a haul line of heavy cord attached to your stand to bring up your hunting equipment or to lower it prior to climbing down from your stand.
- If using a firearm, attach the haul line to the firearm's sling so that the firearm hangs with the muzzle pointed down.
- If using a bow, attach the haul line so that the arrow fletching points down when raising your equipment and points up when lowering it.
- Slip the end of the haul line through your belt—leave it untied so that it can pull free if you fall. Put on your FAS full-body harness, secure yourself to the tree, and climb to your stand.
- After you are in the stand and secure, haul up your hunting equipment and untie the haul line.