Trip Preparation When Hunting With Boats
Hunters often use boats in difficult conditions, such as wind, cold, and snow. Special care must be exercised to ensure a safe trip.
- Leave a float plan with family and friends. It should detail where you’re going and when you plan to return.
- Be sure the boat is large enough to carry you and your gear safely.
- Load gear low in the boat, and distribute the weight evenly.
- Have a personal flotation device (life jacket) on board for each passenger to wear.
- Have throwable personal flotation devices on board in case someone falls overboard.
- Stow required visual distress signals.
- Check an up-to-date weather forecast before heading out.
- Cancel your trip if wind and water conditions aren’t safe.