Even something as simple as loading or unloading a firearm can result in tragedy if it isn’t done properly. Here’s how to do it safely.
- Control the muzzle. Point it in a safe direction. Know the location of all people in your area.
- Open the action, and check its operation. Make sure the barrel is unobstructed.
- Put the safety on if the firearm can be loaded with the safety on.
- Load the ammunition. Count your cartridges or shells.
- Close the action on an empty chamber.
- Put the safety on if you were not able to do so before loading.