Checking for Obstructions
Occasionally you may trip or stumble in the field, accidentally dipping the barrel into the ground or snow. Immediately check for an obstruction.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
- Open the action, and make sure the firearm is unloaded.
- Check for debris in the barrel. If the firearm is a break action, look through the barrel from the breech end, or use a barrel light to inspect the barrel for obstructions.
- Remove any obstructions with a cleaning rod.
- Check the barrel again to make sure no debris remains.
- Place a small amount of electrical tape over the muzzle to help keep snow, dirt, twigs, and other debris out of the barrel.
Clearing Plugged Gun Barrels
Press the play button (▶) above to start the video. Trouble with this video?