"Red Fred in the Shed": Using a Compass
Think of the rhyme “Red Fred in the Shed” to remember how to face north. As you perform the steps below, remember the following.
- To face north, move your body—not the compass.
- Think of the red magnetic needle as “red Fred.”
- Think of “N” (the north indicator) as the “shed.”
- Follow these steps to face north.
- Twist the dial until N is lined up with the direction-of-travel arrow.
- Keep the compass level as you point the direction-of-travel arrow directly away from your waist.
- Keeping the compass in the same position with your body, turn your body until the red needle aligns with the N (think of it as putting ”red Fred in the shed”). You now face north.